Sunday, November 11, 2018

Teacher Support by: Gabi David

I am the ultimate theater geek! Whether it’s acting on stage or directing, I am constantly doing shows. I am in five shows right now with more auditions in December and I always love when my friends come to support me, but I really love when my teachers are in the audience. It always makes me feel good when they take the time out of their life to come watch me perform. Although I don’t do sports, many of my classmates do and they can say the same when they see their teachers in the stands or on the bleachers.

In fact, 100% of students who answered my personal survey of questions answered yes to liking when their teachers come to support them in extracurricular activities. 92% of students said they would have a better relationship with their teachers if they came to support them.

Another thing about being a student constantly participating with extracurricular activities, is you have to balance this with your workload. For me, when I have an audition or a big show coming up, every piece of homework adds more stress. I have a wonderful teacher that has decreased the workload outside of the classroom significantly because he knew of games, shows, and practices. It makes me feel like I can trust teachers when they take the time to think about what we have going on outside of school.

One student says, “Last year, my P.E. teacher came to one of my volleyball games. It made me really happy to know that she likes to support and care for her students.” Another student says, “I wish some teachers would come support me in my extracurricular activities. It would help me bond and create a better relationship with them”.

Ask your students about their next game or wish them luck on their performance. You’ll be happy with the turnout. :)

1 comment:

  1. Gabi,
    I cannot even imagine being in five shows at the same time. How many shows have you already been in during your theater career? So nice to see some of your survey data in your blog!

    ReplyDelete