Friday, November 30, 2018

Making Book Recommendations by: TQ Williamson

Recently, my interest in reading has been sparked up after multiple years of reading the minimum amount I need to for school. Although I have a fair list of books I would like to read, I understand the challenge of not knowing what book is right for me. This causes stress and ultimately, I find myself not wanting to read because the bookshelf full of books in front of me is too daunting. Thankfully there is a way that any student can find the right book for them. The key reason, other than for personal enjoyment, that teachers should be reading Is to be able to recommend a book to their students. The more books a teacher reads, and the more diverse they are, the greater chance that teacher has to make good recommendations for all their students. Personally, when a teacher I have is passionate about a book and expresses that passion to me and other students, I tend to have an interest in that book I would have not had before. At NCTE18, I learned from multiple different sessions and presenters, the three categories that books being recommended can fall into. The first, mirrors. Mirrors are books that allow students to see themselves in or are able to relate to. These are the best books out of the three for me because I am able to imagine all of the aspects of the book as if I were a part of it. When finding mirror books for students, it is very important to read books from all different authors and about all different subjects to be able to know the right books for all kinds of students. Second, Window books help the reader to see a story from a different perspective. A great example of window books are historical non-fictions books. These allow people to imagine what life would have been like if they lived at that time. Other than history, Window books can help students imagine what life would be like or relate to other people and different situations. Last, Door books are books that inspire people to do something. Whether it is joining an organization, writing their own book, or going on a missions trip across the world, door books inspire the reader to go out and make a change in the world and to be part of something bigger. Door books are difficult to come by however and every reader will have different books that are that inspiring to them. Finding the right book for yourself should be a non-stressful task for all students. With an understanding of the different types of books and a vast library of books read, a teacher can help all of their students find a good book. I would like to encourage all of my teachers and any other teachers to recommend books to your students that you believe they would have an interest in. If unsure what books to recommend, read some until you find one that is just right. I believe that with an understanding of the three types of books, and good recommendations, all students can find a love for reading.

1 comment:

  1. So important to consider whether books are mirrors, windows or doors as according to Dr. Rudine Sims Bishop. There are so many reasons to love books. Glad you have figured out some ways to make wise choices.

    ReplyDelete