Tuesday, February 20, 2018

School Shootings by: Ryan Beaver


When I heard about the school shooting in Florida, I was scared out of my mind. I have a cousin that goes to high school down there and I was petrified it was at her school. When I heard that it was not at her school, I was flooded with relief. However, that respite was brief. One of my closest friends’ cousin was at the school while the shooting happened. It is so hard to see someone go through the shock and panic of having someone in danger. Nothing can comfort that sheer panic and the horrifying wait to find out if his cousin survived. Thankfully, his cousin made it out okay, but for others, there was no miracle.

            This horrid act has shaken me to my core. The fact that I thought my family member was a part of this tragedy and that my friends’ cousin was at the dreadful scene made it real to me. School shootings have been on the rise for the past few months. There has been a total of 18 shootings in 2018 alone. This stat is extremely high and outright terrifying. Schools have gone from safe havens of students to targets where everyone needs to be on guard.

            High schools are the most targeted for school shooting, which also hits close to home. Knowing that I am at risk every day I go to school terrifies me. However, there are ways for teachers to help make school more comfortable. Make sure students know what to do in the event of an attack. I mean every little detail. What if they are in the hallway? What if they are in a bathroom? Make sure the answers to these questions are known by every student. Also, talk about these situations. I suggest having an in-class discussion on these shootings and go through everything about them. Teachers should participate in these too. Have everyone share their thoughts on the shootings, how they affect people, and if they understand and agree with the protection measures are being taken. This is a good way for students to share what they feel, which many kids need to do in this time.

            It is important for issues as prominent as this to be addressed. Making sure the students know the emergency procedures is beyond important. With these shootings becoming increasingly more common, students should be able to express their feelings about them. Keep the classroom a safe space for the kids and make them feel as comfortable as possible. I wish everyone safety and peace and all of our prayers are going out to Parkland in this time of need.

2 comments:

  1. Ryan thank you for sharing your perspective of this horrible event. Yes there ARE things that we can do to make you feel safe (and I'm so grateful to hear that his cousin was okay).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ryan, for sharing your perspective. I, too, had my heart in my throat for a bit as my nephew is literally only one town away from this shooting. Spending time to alleviate fears and increase student understanding in order to lessen anxiety is critical! Your ideas matter!

    ReplyDelete