Tuesday, February 20, 2018

How we Learn by: Christian Sporre

During the past few months, I have really started questioning myself about how I am learning information, especially in my math class. I am a pretty go with the flow kid, I get to class and I do everything that the teacher tells me to do and try not to question their methods, but sometimes I can’t help it. I am terrible at math and I am always trying to get better, but I don't even know where to start. Even now as I am writing this blog, if you asked me what I am learning in math I could not tell you. I know it involves some triangles and some radicals but that's about it. I go to school early almost every day because I am so confused on my math homework. I go to my math teachers classroom and pull out my homework to ask my questions. Every time I would ask a question I would get an answer and in my mind go “why didn't i think of that before” but the second I sit down in my chair to put that knowledge I have just acquired to work, I become confused again. I am not forgetting everything my teacher just told me, I just can put all the information together. I do not understand why the numbers work the way the do, yet I still have an A. To me that does not make sense, how could the class that I have the least understanding for have one of my highest grades. Then I realized why. I do not know how and why the numbers work with each other the way they do, I just know the formulas. All I have to do is remember the formulas to get the problems right, but the second I saw a problem with the numbers out of wack I have no Idea how to solve it. It just goes to further show that I do not really understand the problems I am supposed to be solving. If I can just understand the numbers and formulas instead of memorizing them, I could do so much better. Now I need to figure out how to gain the understanding of the math I am learning. Unfortunately math is always building on top of itself so I have started looking at the very base of the math I am learning. I know for a fact that a lot of students have this same problem in my math class because we are constantly asking each other the same questions. I think a great way to solve this problem and to let the students gain a little bit more of understanding of the topic, is a daily review of past problems. I am constantly faced with some types of products I haven't seen or worked on in a week. I think just a daily review would greatly benefit everyone in the class. I also am fortunate to have great friends who always help me out on the math that I do not understand and I think that it is from them I have gained the most understanding. One of my friends knows how I learn so he knows how to explain things to me, which really helps me understand certain topics I am supposed to learn. Now with me reviewing and with the help of my friends I am finally gaining an understanding for math. I think the future for my math grades is finally looking pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. Christian,
    It seems a conundrum. You worry about "understanding math" yet your grades seem to be high. You recognize that being able to work the formulas is not the same as understanding. Kudos! It's so great that you have a friend that can explain this to you! Keep working on it! Maybe you can write math tips or record math tips for other students! :-)

    ReplyDelete