Friday, April 27, 2018

Study Habits by: TQ Williamson


Study habits vary with every student. This year the majority of my classes are easy because I lucked out with the teachers I got. Material in most of my classes is easy enough for me to take notes in class, pay attention, look over material before class, and get a decent grade. Some classes I have on the other hand I would be a disaster in without studying for every test.  I am also lazy when it comes to studying and know that I would get better grades if I put more hours into it but I just do not have enough motivation.

In elementary school, I had the best studying habits of all my education. One of the teachers I had made studying and making flash cards part of our grade. Although it is difficult to grade studying hours for example, teachers can grade flash card completion. With my flash cards that I made, I would study them with my stepdad until I knew everyone of them front and back so I would be super prepared for the test the next day. Although studying the flashcards my teacher made us do, was not necessary, it was encouraged. Even for students that hadn’t studied the flashcards, studies show that writing material down helps you remember it up to 27 times better than if you had just heard or read it.

When teachers give me studying assignments like flash cards that have the tangible aspect they can grade, and encourage using the study tool, I always tend to put more time and effort into studying the content then if they had not. The tangible studying tool grading aspect is to make sure the student has the studying tool and makes something to use. Using the tool is up to them but the chances of them using the tool is nothing without making or receiving it first. Study habits are crucial to performing well on assessments, as is making sure your students perform their studying to do well.

2 comments:

  1. Study skills are such an important life skill that our students can use for the rest of their lives in so many ways so you shouldn't have to "luck out" with opportunities to build on that. Thank you for bringing this important topic to the forefront TQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so important that every student figure out "how" they learn especially if they have to memorize a bunch of facts. I remember definitions that I had to learn for my MA comp exams . . . AWFUL, but I had to figure out how to learn them.

    I like combinations of say it, write it, and read it. I always hoped that subliminal messages - recording the info and playing it while sleeping would be effective . . . but I never had data to support that! I wonder if you learn all content material the same way, or does it vary?

    So much to think about with studying! Great topic and suggestions, TQ!

    ReplyDelete