Friday, April 27, 2018

First Impressions by: Connor Grady


As the end of the school year rapidly approaches, I thought it would be just the right time to reflect on the first day of school.  Every student that walks into high school on that very first, nerve-wracking day is looking around them; assessing what it really means to be in high school.  At the same time, we students are forming opinions of our teachers, looking at the way they run their classroom.  They say that first impressions are everything on this day in particular, they certainly are.  That said, I want to provide teachers with “first day” ideas that this student has greatly appreciated.
                The first, and probably the most controversial, is allowing students to choose their seats when they first come into the classroom.  I recognize that this leaves the door open for students to sit with other students who will distract them, but I encourage teachers to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Giving your students choice right off the bat shows them that you value their ability to make decisions for themselves.  I know personally that I only reciprocate the respect of teachers that have first initiated respect for me.  I understand that this is a large risk on the teacher’s part, but I know from experience that it pays off.
                The second takeaway is that ice-breakers are effective, but only when done correctly.  Many teachers will craft questions for students to help others get to know them and to break the initial tension.  On the surface, this might seem like an effective idea, but this type of ice-breaker is rarely appreciated.   Many students don’t see the value in learning insignificant facts about students they don’t know.  Facts they will probably forget before the bell rings.  That said, ice-breakers that encourage teamwork between pairs of students or even small groups are far more likely to open students to collaborative relationships.  They remove the daunting nature of presenting yourself to a large group that doesn’t know (and rarely cares) who you are.  I also love ice-breakers that are slightly embarrassing in a fun way.  One game that will always stick in my mind is “cowboy, princess, gladiator”. It encourages students to break down their walls and work together with a partner.  I will always remember pretending to be a gladiator with another student, standing victoriously over their fallen body.  It was really fun and memorable.
                I hope I have given insight into the first day of school from a student’s perspective.  I encourage teachers to think about how they will present themselves on the first day, and then try to understand how they may be perceived by their students.

2 comments:

  1. Those first moments are so important Connor and I'm so glad that you're offering your ideas for making them memorable in a positive way. That first day can make or break the rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conner,
    Timely post to be reflecting on "beginnings". I don't know “cowboy, princess, gladiator”, but I am not a big fan of cutesy icebreakers. I'm more inclined to ask what your goals for the class are and how I can best help you achieve your goals as well as learn. And yes, CHOICE in seating is a big deal! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on building trust!

    ReplyDelete